Prof Colin Buxton
"BSc Hons, MSc cum laude (University of Cape Town), PhD (Rhodes University)"
|Telephone||+61 3 6227 7256|
|Fax||+61 3 6227 8035|
- Regional impact assessment for the marine protected areas proposed for the south east region. Buxton, C., Haddon, M and Bradshaw, M 2005 * FRDC Final Report FRDC Project Number 2005/083 204
- Evaluating the effectiveness of marine protected areas as a fisheries management tool. Buxton, C., Barrett, N., Haddon, M., Gardner, C and Edgar, G 2006 * FRDC Final Report FRDC Project Number 1999/162 393
- Changes in fish assemblages following 10 years of protection in Tasmanian marine protected areas. BARRETT, N.S., EDGAR, G.J., BUXTON C.D & HADDON, M. 2007 * J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 345(2) 141-157
- The effect of predator-prey and competitive interactions on size at emergence in black-lip abalone (Hailotis rubra) in a Tasmanian. PEDERSON, H. G., BARRETT, N.S., FRUSHER, S.D., BUXTON, C.D. 2008 * MPA. Mar. Ecol. Prog. 366 91-98.
- Changes in invertebrate and macroalgal populations within Tasmanian marine reserves in the decade following protection. BARRETT, N. S., BUXTON, C. D. & EDGAR, G. J 2009 * Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 370 104-119
Following appointments at the Port Elizabeth Museum (Marine Biologist), Rhodes University (Associate Professor) and Australian Maritime College (Head of the Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Environment), I joined the University of Tasmania as inaugural Director of the Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute.
- 1980-1987:Marine Biologist,Port Elizabeth Museum
- 1987-1989:Lecturer, Department of Ichthyology and Fisheries Science (DIFS), Rhodes University.
- 1990 1993:Senior Lecturer, DIFS (1993 acting Head of Department).
- 1994-1995:Associate Professor, DIFS.
- 1996:Senior Lecturer and Post Graduate Course Co-ordinator, Faculty of Fisheries & Environment at the Australian Maritime College (FM&E - AMC)
- 1996-1998:Director, (FM&E - AMC).
- 1998 to present:Director and Professor, Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute (TAFI), University of Tasmania.
Current research grants include:
- FRDC 2004/002 - Spatial Management of Reef Fisheries and Ecosystems: Understanding the Importance of Movement (Buxton, CD; Barrett, NS & Semmens, JM.).
- FRDC 2004/013 - Towards Integrated Multi-Species Management of Australia's SE Reef Fisheries: A Tasmanian Example (Frusher, SD; Buxton, CD; Barrett, NS; Tarbath, D; Jarman, SN; Semmens, JM & Elliott, N.).
- FRDC 2004/313 - Tasmanian Fisheries and Aquaculture Research and Development Plan 2003-2005 (Laws, E; Buxton, CD; Ibbott, T).
- FRDC 2003/200 - Atlantic Salmon Aquaculture Subprogram: Facilitation and administration (Buxton, CD; Wadley, V; Wellby, F).
- TAFI Agreement between UTAS and DPIWE (Buxton, CD).
I have extensive experience on Boards and Committees including:
- Tasmanian Fishing Industry Training Board (1997-1998)
- Tasmanian Fisheries Research Advisory Board (1998-present)
- Board Aquaculture CRC(1998-2001)
- Board Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute (1998-present)
- Tasmanian Marine & Marine Industries Council (1999-present)
- Sustainable Aquaculture of Finfish CRC (Chair of Bid Committee 2000; Member of the Board 2001-present)
- Board Aquafin CRC Holdings Pty Ltd (2002-present)
- Board Aquafin CRC Pty Ltd (2002-present)
- Gordon River Scientific Reference Committee (Chair)(2004 - present)
- WA Rock Lobster Scientific Reference Committee (2004 - present)
- FRDC Effects of Trawling Sub-committee (1996-98)
- Australian Fisheries Management Forum (was Standing Committee for Fisheries and Aquaculture) ' Research Sub-Committee (1998-2005)
- Chair of 6 Research Advisory Groups (Crustacean, Abalone, Scalefish, Marine Environment, Aquaculture and Recreational Fisheries (1998 - present)