- 8 pairs of .
- Five pairs of are considered as the 10 legs ( ), hence the name Decapoda).
- Front 3 pairs of function as mouthparts ( ).
- 1 pair of legs ( ) are enlarged pincers (claws called ).
- Other located on where each segment is capable of carrying pleopods.
- Last pleopods form part of the tail fan, and together with the are called .
- Classification depends on structure of and legs, and larval development.
- 8,000 species worldwide.
- Most abundant in shallow warm waters.
- Mostly .
- Four basic larval types distinguished partly by mode of : , protozoea, zoea, and postlarva. Most hatch at the zoea stage.