Register your interest below for 2022
Applications are closed for 2021. Successful applicants will be notified via phone and email by 12 March, 2021.
A PRACTICAL INTRODUCTION TO TEMPERATE MARINE BIOLOGY
This predominately field-based unit consists of 5 days on picturesque Maria Island on the Tasmanian East Coast. The unit is open to 24 students and is designed to engage, challenge, excite and inspire you through a hands-on marine science program. It will encourage you to explore issues threatening biodiversity as well as the productivity of the marine system. Climate change, invasive species, pollution, debris and their associated social and economic impacts will be covered.
Get a head start in a career on the water
- Get credit for one unit towards your degree at the University of Tasmania
- Learn practical techniques normally taught on the job or at University
- Spend five days on Maria Island exploring the marine environment
- Day six is spent presenting your research findings in Hobart at the state-of-the-art Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies
- This unit is offered via the University Connections Program at the University of Tasmania, and open to all year 11 and 12 students in Australia
This unit, A practical introduction to temperate marine biology, is an introduction to our Bachelor of Marine and Antarctic Science. View more information about the course here.
When you apply, you automatically go into the running to win one of nine scholarships to fully fund your marine biologist experience. Scholarship package includes:
- Accommodation, airport transfers and return economy airfares from your nearest capital city to Hobart for our five interstate recipients
- Transport from Hobart to Maria Island return, including ferry crossings
- All catering while on Maria Island
- Hire of all required diving and survey gear
- Field excursion fee of $645 for the program A Practical Introduction to Temperate Marine Biology
View the full terms and conditions (PDF 127.0 KB).
Applications are closed for 2021.
Please register your interest below, and we will email you when application open for 2022.
This field trip is subject to COVID restrictions.